Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chapter 130


“Nervous?” Richie asked from his seat next to the window.

Allegra was perched on the end of the examination table in Dr. Shively’s office, awaiting the doctor’s arrival in the little room.  Funny how she had no qualms about being naked with Richie, but sitting here in her t-shirt and a piece of tissue paper had her feeling modest.  She crossed her ankles, pinning the paper to the table with her hands at her thighs.

“Yes and no.  I don’t really know what these visits are supposed to be like, so I’m a little apprehensive about what to expect.  Other than that I’m pretty sure, compared to the shock of last time, this will be a piece of cake.”

His favorite black loafers were silent against the tile flooring when he eliminated the handful of steps between them.  “At least you aren’t by yourself today,” he said, drawing lazy circles in the small of her back.

She smiled, ponytail swaying as she tipped her head back to look up into his handsome face.  “No, I’m not.  Thanks for coming with me.”

Since their night in New York City, she was almost afraid to breathe things had been so idyllic.  No arguments, no crazy parents, no soap-opera-come-to-life moments. 

It was a taste of what could be.

The morning after Allegra and Richie’s date, Dot had come waltzing into the guest house kitchen with a gift in tow.

“Hey,” Allegra greeted her from the sink, warily inspecting the box under Dot’s arm.  She was just rinsing out a cereal bowl and juice glass to put in the dishwasher. “What’s that?”

“It’s the beginning of your new life.”

Dot turned the box upright, placing it on the table so that she could fix herself a cup of the aromatic coffee whose scent was flooding the kitchen.

“Excuse me?  What new life?  And you know that’s decaf, right?”

The coffee pot clanked against the maker when Dot slid it back into place.  “Decaf’s fine.  I’ve had too much already this morning.  Is Richie still in bed?” 

Disappointingly enough, he’d stuck to his guns about not sleeping over, leaving her with only one last lingering kiss.  Allegra had expected – hoped – that he would crawl in bed with her through the night, or at least join her this morning, but she’d woken up alone and dissatisfied. 

She didn’t like the feeling at all.  It would be hard enough when he left for Europe, but to sleep alone when he was only yards away was asinine.

“You would know better than I since he stayed in the big house last night.  He told me he didn’t sleep over on a second date.”

Dot nearly choked on her coffee.  “Are you fucking kidding me?” she spluttered, all but dropping her mug on the countertop.  “That must be the only date he doesn’t sleep over.”

Folding her arms across her midriff, Allegra gave her cousin’s wife a scowl.  “Okay, we both know that, but do you have to say it out loud?  You can’t let me pretend he’s never had another woman but me?”

“Oh, honey, I’m sorry,” she apologized, contritely patting her arm.  “Sure I can.  But first, let me make sure my unicorn is still out front.  The Easter Bunny is supposed to stop by and borrow it later.”

Allegra let out a surprised cackle, slapping Dot’s hand away.  “You are so mean!” she accused through her laughter.  “You’ve probably got voodoo dolls in that box, luring me into a new life as a high priestess.”

“Hey.  Love me or hate me, I call it like I see it.”  She went back to reclaim her coffee, leaning against the counter with a nod toward the table.  “The box is yours, and it’s far less interesting than voodoo – or any other – dolls.  Go ahead and open it.”

The size of a pizza box, it was easily twice as deep and contained something heavy enough to create a deep ‘thump’ when Dot had put it down.  Interest had Allegra swiftly lifting the lid to reveal the contents were sheathed with crinkly white tissue paper.  Carefully folding the tissue back, Allegra discovered a soft, black leather book bearing the word ‘Memories’ embossed in gold letters.

“An empty photo album?” she asked lifting the book from its secure nest of paper. 

“Scrapbook, actually.  And it’s not completely empty.  Look at the first page.”

Allegra pushed the empty box away so that there was room to lay the book down flat and did as she was instructed, flipping back the cover of the book. 

Affixed to the page was a picture of herself and Richie, obviously taken before they realized the photographers were in residence last night.  Her hand was held loosely in his, the two of them laughing and looking for all the world like there was no place they’d rather be.

It was the first time she’d seen herself next to him and Allegra couldn’t keep the corners of her mouth from curling upward.  They looked really good together. 

“Welcome to your new life – on the arm of a man who lives in the public eye,” Dot toasted her before draining the last swallow of coffee from her mug.

Allegra forcibly dragged her eyes away from the photo, regarding her curiously.  “And that needs a scrapbook?”

“It’s an interesting ride if you don’t let yourself get caught too much in the hype.  I’ve have at least one photo from every event Jon and I have attended.  It’s nice to go back and reminisce sometimes.”

Allegra tucked the scrapbook in one arm and brought her cousin’s wife – no, her friend – close in a heartfelt embrace.  “Just when I think you’re bad to the bone, it turns out you have a sentimental side.  Thank you.”

“I’m a woman.  It happens,” she said with a flip of her wrist.  “Just remember that the baby gets its own book when the time comes.  Someday he or she will appreciate it.

Although she’d never considered a scrapbook for the baby, Allegra knew what the first picture should be.

“In a couple of visits, we’ll get ultrasound pictures.”  Richie reached into her thoughts, transporting her back to the present, where she was wearing tissue paper instead of unwrapping it.  He cleared his throat before asking, “Do you want to know if it’s a boy or a girl?”

“It seems more practical.  What do you think?”

Allegra was concerned that he may be getting sick.  Hershey had been cool and damp, to the point that he’d asked her to stay home instead of coming to the show.  She’d refused, wanting to experience her first outdoor event, but had bundled up and stayed at the edge of the stage out of the wind.  He hadn’t had that luxury.

Tender lips pressed against her temple and a large, tanned hand came to rest on her still flat stomach. 

“I’ll leave it up to you,” Richie deferred on the issue of the baby’s gender.  “Doodlebug and I are fine either way.”

“Doodlebug?”

“You said you didn’t like Munchkin,” he reminded her with a shrug.  “So I found something else to call the baby.”

With one sharp rap, the door swung inward and Allegra didn’t have time to do anything but give him a squeeze before Dr. Shively joined them in the exam room.

“Allegra it’s good to see you again.”  She approached Richie with an outstretched hand.  “I don’t believe we’ve met.  I’m Dr. Shively.”

Richie greeted the doctor with a smile and warm handshake.  “Richie Sambora.  Nice to meet you, Doc.”

“Allegra, how are things going?” the doctor proceeded after nodding in acknowledgement.  “Any cramping or spotting?  Is the morning sickness too bad?”

“No.  No cramping or spotting, and… Well, I haven’t had any morning sickness.  Should I be concerned?”

The doctor laughed.  “No, just consider yourself blessed.  We don’t know why, but not everyone is subject to that aspect of pregnancy.”

The appointment continued with Dr. Shively performing a quick pelvic exam while Richie stood at Allegra’s shoulder, then asking a few more questions. 

“Okay Allegra, now comes the fun part,” she told her with a smile, redistributing the tissue paper over her thighs to reveal her lower abdomen.  “Let’s listen to your baby’s heartbeat.”

Round blue eyes darted to find Richie smiling right along with the doctor and her fingers crept out to tangle with his even as she sucked in a breath at the touch of cold gel being applied to her stomach.

Within a moment, the doctor was dragging a small wand over the gelled area and a pulsing noise was coming from the attached monitor.  She took a moment to allow them to familiarize themselves with the sound.

“Now that’s your heartbeat,” she explained, before moving the wand back and forth until a different noise filtered from the monitor.  It sounded like Allegra’s heartbeat, only faster and lighter, like a hummingbird.  “And that’s your baby.”

“Ohhh.”  Wonder filled Allegra’s eyes and her fingers clenched Richie’s more tightly with every beat that resonated in the little room, until he laughed.

He dropped a kiss to the top of her head, saying, “Baby, I’m gonna need those later.  I’ve gotta earn a living, ya know.”

She immediately released him with baleful eyes, completely unaware of what she’d been doing. “I’m sorry.  I got excited.”

“I know you did.  It’s the first time I’ve seen you truly excited over the baby.”

“How can I not be?  I heard our baby’s heartbeat!  It’s a real little person.”

His dimple winked at her.  “Yeah.  It is.”

“Okay, Allegra, I think that’s it then for this time,” the doctor interrupted, wiping the goo away and storing the instrument in a drawer.  “The receptionist will set up your appointment for next month, and we’ll do the paternity test and an amniocentesis.  You read about that in the literature I gave you last time?”

She didn’t have a chance to respond before Richie was firmly stating, “There isn’t going to be a paternity test.”

“Oh.” The older woman’s brow creased with confusion.

“Richie’s my boyfriend,” Allegra explained.  “He says he doesn’t need or want a paternity test to verify that he’s the father.”

“That’s quite admirable Mr. Sambora, but I would still recommend a paternity test.”  She shucked her gloves and recovered Allegra’s chart from the countertop.

“Doctor, no disrespect, but you can give your recommendation all day long and it won’t change my mind.  I’ll tell you just like I’ve told everyone else – this baby is mine and I don’t need a lab to prove it.”

Dr. Shively’s shifted from Allegra’s chart, up and over her spectacles, to Richie.  “And no disrespect to you Mr. Sambora, but the paternity test is about more than ownership.”

Allegra felt Richie stiffen at her side and reached for him.  “I don’t think I understand.  What else could the paternity test help with?”

Resting the chart flat against her chest and folding her arms around it, the doctor patiently clarified, “If you read the information on amniocentesis, then you understand why we feel it’s a necessary precaution to test for potential problems with the fetus considering your age, Allegra.  Knowing the paternity will let us know what additional tests need to be conducted to ensure that everything is going along as expected.  Mr. Sambora’s age and heredity could be a significant contributing factor to genetic abnormalities.”

Genetic abnormalities.  Allegra’s excitement downgraded to trepidation.  She’d just gotten used to the idea that this baby was a real thing and now they were talking about abnormalities.  Thank God she didn’t have to do this alone, but would he agree to the test?

 “Richie?”  She placed her hand on his arm with an inquiring look.

“No.”

Her eyes slid helplessly to the doctor.  “I’m sorry, but if he doesn’t want it, I won’t do it against his wishes.”

Dr. Shively was seemingly unfazed by the reaction.  “Of course, that decision is up to you.”  She directed her sights back on Richie.  “Mr. Sambora do you have siblings?”

“No, I’m an only child.”

“I see.  Any particular reason why?”

“It just didn’t work out.  My mother had trouble carrying a baby to term.”

“Uh huh.”  The doctor scribbled some notations in Allegra’s file.  “And do you know why?”

“No, not really.”

“Well, what ethnic origin are your parents?”

“Polish-Italian.”  Richie was getting irritable and defensive.  “Listen, I have one normal, healthy daughter already, so there’s no reason to believe this child would be any different.”

She smiled benignly at him.  “That’s excellent news.  How old is your daughter?”

“Thirteen.”

“And is her mother of Italian descent?”

“Heather?” he scoffed.  “No, not even close.”

“Well then.”  She pushed her glasses up so that she could see him clearly.  “That makes two significant differences between these children.  One:  you and your sperm are not in the same shape you were thirteen years ago.  Two:  since Allegra is of Italian origin, the chance of genetic incidents manifesting themselves in those of Mediterranean descent at least doubles.  Considering that your parents were only able to produce one live offspring, I’d say the odds are greater than that.”  She delivered her monologue directly to Richie, gaze never wavering.  “Now, do you really want to take that chance?”

The tension ticked away in Richie’s jaw as he absorbed the information the doctor had bombarded him with. 

Allegra empathized, sharing his reluctance over the paternity test.  There was every chance in the world that his feelings toward the baby – and her – would change if he wasn’t the father.  But regardless of what they wanted, didn’t they owe it to that tiny heartbeat inside her tummy?  As parents-to-be, wasn’t it their responsibility to ensure that its little life was as perfect as they could make it?

Richie evidently came to that same conclusion.

“Do the damn test.”




9 comments:

Emerald Isle said...

Whoah!! Didn't see that coming!! Am praying Richie is the father!

Anonymous said...

Um why come down hard on only Richie? There is the other guy too! And I'm sure there could just as many abnormalities if not more caused by the other guy being the father. I'm not a fan of this doctor I know she was telling them like it is but she didn't have to be such a bitch about it and piss Richie off in the process. She does realize that he can go find another doctor right?

fivefivegenie said...

Ok, I can understand a doctor wanting to know what they are dealing with...but knowing Allegra & Richie - if something were wrong, they wouldn't terminate the pregnancy anyway, so that just leaves difficult months of wondering & worrying ahead if the tests show something is wrong.

During an ultrasound, a tech noticed my youngest niece had multiple birth defects. The rest of that pregnancy was torture for my sister & brother-in-law. My sister would have been far better off NOT knowing. (My niece is now a happy and healthy 7-year-old, by the way!)

So, a doctor pushing tests like this that won't make a difference in any helpful way, especially when the parents are set against it, really TICKS ME OFF!

As for the rest of the chapter, I'll have you know I almost choked on my breakfast reading Dot's comment about unicorns & the Easter bunny! Sheesh, warn a person, will ya? I expect a comment like that outta David, not Dot! LOL.

And I love the scrapbook. And the idea that Dot has one too. So sweet.

Anonymous said...

Noooo, they were just getting to a happy and normal place in there lives too! Please be Richie's baby! Thank you for updating :)

sissy452 said...

Great chapter Carol!!! Reminded me of the times I first heard my kids heartbeats.
It's an interesting turn of events now that paternity is needed!!! I love how you wrote it. The doctors concerns & Richie's trepediations. I'm glad though he agreed!!! Not for him to find out if he's the father but for the baby's sake. That's what makes him a great father to this child regardless!!!!
I didn't really read the other comments, but I saw some anger there. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But let me say as a mother of 3 who had difficult pregnancies testing is so important!!! I would have never learned that my body treats a fetus as a foreign enemy it felt the need to attack. I almost lost both my sons to that if it hadn't been for testing & treatment!!! I also had to have amneosythesists (sp? Lol) with my daughter. Even though it's scary it was needed because I almost died.

Ok so TMI probably lol. But, regardless of who the "birth" father is, Richie is doing what is right & doing what a "real" father would do. Which is protect his child at ANY cost!!!

Bayaderra said...

Knowing the paternity will help her OB to determine which tests to subject Allegra to (and Richie for that matter). And it will also help plan the monitoring strategy for the rest of the pregnancy. I understand Richie's reluctance, but I'm happy that he stopped thinking of himself and started thinking of the baby!

Anonymous said...

wow!their going 2 do it...i finally caught up ive been reading it for a while...so far one of my favorite stories

Anonymous said...

Well, you learn something new everyday. Speaking as someone who doesn't have kids, I didn't know that kind of test was so important when dealing with pregnancy and a baby's health. I can understand how some thought the doctor was a little challenging/insensitive to Richie, but in the end he's not the patient--Allegra is. I think that as honorable as it is for Richie to say that that is his child, if I were pregnant, I would want to know everything I needed to in order to have a healthy child.

The unicorn comment was quite hilarious. Great sense of humor there... :)

Anonymous said...

I really hope the baby is Richie's! Please let it be his, cause it could be really hard for them if it was Felix's.