Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chapter 54


Allegra unceremoniously dropped her carryon in the floor next to the sofa, parking her suitcase by the coffee table.  A midafternoon flight from Las Vegas had seemed like a good idea in theory, but when midafternoon was really early evening in Jersey?  Well, maybe they should’ve reconsidered.  Especially traveling with two younger ones.

Jakey and Romeo had raced around the airport like little demons while everyone over five feet tall raced to corral them AND their belongings so they could board the plane.  In the midst of it all, Allegra had struggled to find an appropriate goodbye for Ava – and Richie.

Much like any other teenager in the Western world, Ava’s headphones were perpetually lodged in her ears, making it difficult to get her attention.  Maybe it just seemed more difficult for Allegra since it was for something as awkward as saying goodbye to her father’s girlfriend.

Glancing over her shoulder to find Richie occupied with the Bongiovi kids, Allegra took the opportunity to approach the girl.

With a light touch to her shoulder, Allegra offered Ava a smile.  Reflexively, Ava returned the smile and tugged out one of the earbuds to greet her.  “Hey.”

“Hey, yourself.  I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed hanging out with you this weekend and wish you a safe trip home.”  With a quick step forward, she wrapped an arm around Ava’s shoulders in a hug, surprised when the embrace was returned, and held. 

“Maybe I’ll see you again soon,” Ava speculated without really meeting her eyes. 

“I hope so.  That’d be great.”  Ava seemed…  not nervous, but unsure of herself, and maybe a bit withdrawn – enough so that Allegra wanted to make it better.  Not knowing what possessed her, impulsively she said, “Let me give you my phone number.  I don’t know that you want it – or will ever need it – but why don’t you take it just in case?”

After an initial look of surprise, Ava dutifully tapped in the numbers as they were recited, nodding at the screen after tapping the ‘Done’ button.   She reciprocated with her own number before saying quietly.  “I like you Allegra.  Take care of my dad for me?”  She lifted her face, her burdened blue eyes tugging at Allegra’s heartstrings.

Again without thought, she pulled the girl close and squeezed her tight.  “Of course I will, but your dad’s okay, sweetheart.” 

“He… He’s good at pretending everything’s okay.”

“Honey, I’ve been on the road with them, and the Uncles take REALLY good care of him, so there’s absolutely no reason to worry yourself.  He’s doing great.”  She drew back to make sure her words had been heard and registered.  “Okay?”


With a nod and a sniff, Ava mumbled, “Thanks,” and went back to whatever world existed for her inside those headphones.

Allegra swung around, and Richie caught her swiping at her own eyes.  “What’s wrong, baby?”

“Go,”  she ordered, pushing him toward Ava.  “Go hug your daughter.  Tight.  Let her know that you love her and you’re okay.”

He ignored her order for the moment, choosing to pull her close instead.  “Shhh, it’s okay.  I will. I’ve gotta say goodbye to my grownup girl first.”  A soft kiss on her lips deterred any argument she was about to give.  “Tell me again?” he murmured.

Her smile was melancholy.  “Those three words are a two way street, sweetie.  You know I do, and that’ll have to be enough for now.”


♥♥♥♫♥♥♥


With a shake of her head, she checked the clock hanging above the mantle.

Almost midnight, and she had to be at work by nine.  Factoring in shower, hair, makeup and an hour’s commute left her with very little time to sleep.  Some heavy duty coffee was going to be in order first thing.  Proud of herself for thinking ahead, she moved into the kitchen to ready the coffee maker for its o’dark thirty debut in the morning.  She’d just programmed the timer, when her phone vibrated.

Were you going to tell me you got home safe?

Frayed nerves were the only reason for her first thought.  Give me a minute, will you? 

She tapped a marginally nicer reply into the touch screen.  As soon as I sat down, yeah. 

Why haven’t you sat down yet?

It had been a long day and she was too tired to text twenty questions.  Call me?

Her phone rang almost instantly.  “Hello?”

“Hi, baby.”  His voice was soft and soothing in her ear, easing the residual travel trauma and making her regret feeling snappish with him.

“Hey,” she breathed, collapsing on the couch.  “How are ya?  Did you make it to Denver okay?”

“Yeah, I’m in my room.”

“How come?  It’s only – “ she studied the clock again, doing the quick math.  “Nine o’clock there .  Why aren’t you out with the guys?”

“We’re all kinda wiped after Vegas, so we decided on a quiet evening in.  I’m headed to Jon’s room in a bit for a poker game.  It’s been a while since Tico’s stolen all our money.”

She chuckled quietly.  “Hey, he has to look at Jon’s ass almost every night, and he gets the least amount of fan adoration.  He deserves SOME perks.”

His grin relayed easily through the phone.  “I guess you’re right, and I’ll be sure and tell him you said so.”

Stifling a yawn, she asked, “Did you need something special or just want to talk?”

“I just wanted to talk, but I can tell you’re worn out.  You have to work tomorrow don’t you?”

“Yeah, and I’m not looking forward to catching that early train in the morning.”

“It would be so much easier on you if you stayed in the city.  Have you given any thought to getting a place there?”

It would definitely give her some more time to sleep, but she didn’t think she had enough money saved yet to seriously consider the option.

“It’s not time yet,” she told him.  “I’ll need to get a couple more paychecks before I start apartment shopping.”

Silence hung in the air between them.

“Richie?”

“Yeah, I’m here.”  He sighed, and in her mind’s eye, she could see him absently stroking his earring as he thought.  “You know…  If you want…  Why don’t you use my condo?” he finally offered, not sure how his suggestion would fly with Miss Independence.

“What condo?” 

“I have a place there in Philly.  Bought it a couple years ago when we were so into the football team, but the AFL folded before I ever did anything with it.  I’ve never even spent a night there.”

Allegra’s mind rushed like a runaway train.  Staying in his condominium.  It could be construed as living ‘together’ in some farfetched land, and the fundamental side of her bristled at the thought.  Although she didn’t think that’s where he was going with his offer.   Just to be sure…

“Sweetie, if I can’t afford an apartment yet, there’s no way I’m going to be able to sublet your condo.”

It was Richie’s turn to bristle.  “I never said sublet.  You know good and damn well I wouldn’t take money from you!  The place is paid for and sits only about half a dozen blocks from the Foundation offices.  I’m being practical here.  I’d prefer to have someone I trust staying there rather than it sitting empty.”

The words were all the right ones.  It WAS practical.  And, who knew?  Maybe she’d actually be doing him a favor by occupying the empty space.  However, she couldn’t shake the slightly slimy feeling of being kept like a mistress.  He would never intentionally make her feel that way, she knew, but in her current state of exhaustion, Allegra couldn’t escape it.  On the other hand, she also didn’t feel like hashing it out tonight, so she angled for a temporary compromise.

“You’ll be back to Philly in a few weeks, and can personally give me the grand tour.  Let’s wait until then before we make any decisions, okay?  I’m fine staying here with Dot until then.”

Mercifully the tactic worked, and he seemed to accept the postponement of that life-altering hurdle.

She yawned again, saying apologetically, “Richie, I’m getting soooo sleepy…”

“I know, Sunshine.  I promise, just one more thing, and then I’ll sing you to sleep.”

“What one more thing?”  she mumbled grumpily.

He chuckled at her petulant tone.  She’d been around Jon and the boys too long. 

“I’m gonna guess you haven’t unpacked yet?”

“Good guess.”  Her head tilted back to rest on the overstuffed sofa cushion, and her very heavy eyelids drifted closed, despite her best intentions.

“Why don’t you reach in the outside pocket of your carryon bag, and see what you find?” 

That got her eyelids snapped back open in a hurry.  “What did you put in my bag?” she asked curiously.

With no idea what his facial expression was at the moment, she took creative license and conjured one of her favorite looks on his handsome face.  Even white teeth biting his full bottom lip in an excited grin, both cheeks showing off their dimply goodness, eyes twinkling with mischief.  She grinned to herself, enjoying the squishy feeling the image invoked.

“Stick your hand in the damn bag and you’ll find out,” he teased.

She struggled to get her weary muscles moving enough to grab the bag sitting on the floor beside her.  With a flick of her wrist, the outside pocket was unzipped and she slipped her hand into the shallow, dark confines.

“You’re no fun at – “ she started to grouse, when her hand closed around a small box.  A small box that was just the right size to contain a piece of jewelry.

“You found it,” he all but singsonged, pleased that he’d managed to ferret his little gift away, undetected.

The corners of the box dug into her palm as she liberated it from its hidey hole.  Uncurling her fingers, she saw the robin’s egg blue box that even SHE recognized.  Just to be sure, she read the words:  Tiffany & Co.

“Tell me there’s a guitar pick in here,” she begged, placing the box delicately on the coffee table.  “Because if not, it’s too much.”

“Bullshit,” he pronounced matter-of-factly.  “Sunshine, let me clue you in on something:  Your boyfriend has money.  Money that he’s not shy about spending on the special people in his life. You might as well get used to it.  If I see something I think will make you smile, I’m gonna get it.”

“Richie, I don’t need ‘stuff’ to be happy.  Vow of poverty and all that, remember?”

“Woman, stop quibbling and open the damn box.”

Hearing the frustration creeping into his voice changed the direction of her thoughts.  She wasn’t accepting this very graciously, and he obviously wanted her to have whatever it was.  Adopting an air of humble appreciation, she grasped the edges of the box, gently shaking the top loose from the base.    Placing the lid aside, she saw that there was a second, hinged box nested inside. 

With an inaudible sigh of relief, she realized it was too large and flat to be a ring box.  Besides, she was sure if and when the time came, he wouldn’t be gifting a ring over the phone.

A flick of her wrist had that box turned out on the table as well.

Richie grew impatient at the continued silence.  “What’s taking so long?”

“I’m on the phone, in case you didn’t remember, pushy man.  Things tend to go a little slower when you’ve only got one free hand.”

“Well, tell me when you’ve got it open.”

Tucking the phone into her shoulder, she was able to use both thumbs to slowly pry the clamshell case apart.  A quiet creak echoed in the silent room, followed by a muffled click when the hinge reached its fully open position, revealing its hidden treasure. 

Ohhhhh, Richie…

A silver cross lay on the cream colored bed of satin, winking at her with its... one, two, three…  Nine round diamonds.    At least, she assumed it was silver.  Or did a Tiffany box automatically mean it was platinum? 

It was no more than two inches high, and at the heart of it was the largest – she had no idea of the size – of the shining diamonds.  Stemming from that central hub were four marquis shaped pieces of silver (platinum?) forming  the cross, each housing two more diamonds apiece.  It hung from a chain made of the same precious metal as the pendant.

Her sigh of appreciation was enough to let him know his gift had been revealed.

“Do you like it?” he asked with a mixture of hope and confidence.

“I’d be crazy not to like it,” she told him without hesitation.  “It’s positively gorgeous!”

“Good!  You said the little gold cross you wear didn’t really have any sentimental meaning.  I hoped it would be okay to replace it for you.”

“It’s too much,” she started, and rose her voice to be heard over his immediate protests, “but I couldn’t be any more pleased.  Thank you so very much.” 

The sparkling beauty called to her, and she traced her fingertip over its form reverently.   “What made you choose it?”  Before she’d even finished the question, she was mentally berating herself for being such a ‘girl’.

It apparently didn’t bother Richie though.  “I thought you could use a little something that would remind you to have faith,” he explained.  “In God, in yourself – and in me.  It’s gonna be a while before we see each other again, and you should have something  to hold onto until we do.”

He’s got to be the sweetest man in the world.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I've said it a million times but I LOVE RICHIE!!
Great chapter, can't wait for more!

Sambora's Answer said...

Awww that was such a sweet gift! And I second that Vicki, I LOVE RICHIE!!! Can't wait for more!

Bayaderra said...

I'll add my voice to that chorus!!!
I LOVE RICHIE!!!
uhhhmmm, just don't tell David....

Nayeli said...

Only if you don't tell Jon that I love Richie too Bay :)