Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chapter 24


As they walked in the door to Apocalypse Tattoos, Allegra felt butterflies – no, pterodactyls – fluttering in her stomach.  She was about to have something permanently engraved on her body.  The idea suddenly didn't seem as brilliant as it once had.

At least the atmosphere of the entryway here was comfortable, reminding her of the waiting area in a beauty salon.  The taxi driver had recommended this particular ‘body art studio’ as the best in Seattle, and, upon hearing the name, Richie recalled hearing something favorable about it from one of his friends.  Those endorsements were reason enough to choose it over the dozens of unknown others in the city.

They were greeted by a smiling receptionist, with black hair and multiple colorful tattoos and piercings.  “Hi there!  Welcome to Apolalypse.  Do you have an appointment?”

Appointment?  Allegra hadn’t even considered needing an appointment.  Before she could form an answer, Richie had stepped into rockstar mode.

He leaned on the raised counter and smiled at the woman, who was probably in her late twenties.  “Hello, darlin’.  This was an unexpected stop, so, unfortunately, we didn’t have time to schedule an appointment.  Is there anyone who might be able to fit my friend into their schedule today?  It’s her first tattoo.”

If the look on the woman’s face was any indication, she knew exactly who she was speaking to and wanted to do everything in her power to help.  She smiled at him and said, “Why don’t you have a seat and I’ll check, Mr. Sambora.”

In no time, Allegra was seated in a separate waiting area with a tattoo artist named Jack, Richie by her side. 

She wanted something small, simple and significant.  It was her intention for the artwork to honor Tessa and to be a personal motivation, similar to what Richie had told her about ‘Who Dares Wins’.  Except for the stupid shit, of course.

“I’d like a dove.  Not a ‘bird portrait’, though.  Something ethereal and wispy.  Feminine.  No bigger than the palm of my hand, and preferably much smaller.  And could you incorporate the initial ‘T’ in there along with the word ‘hope’?”  Throughout her description, she could feel Richie’s eyes on her, trying to make the pieces fit into a bigger picture. 

When Jack excused himself to make the preliminary sketch, Richie spoke.  “You have been thinking about this, haven’t you?”

She nodded, unsure what he wanted her to say.

“Can I ask why you chose it?”

Shrugging, she said, “It’s one of those things that sounds really prolific in my head, but dumbs way down when I start putting words to it.”

-“Try me.”  He smiled encouragingly.

“Well, it’s a reminder of what I have and how I got to where I am today.”  She crossed her legs, fidgeting with her pant leg, not looking at him.  “Hope is something I have.  I have hope for a brighter tomorrow.  I have hope that I can make someone’s tomorrow a little brighter, in whatever small way possible.”

He nodded.  “Sounding pretty prolific so far.”

Quickly glancing at him, she flashed a brief smile.  “The dove obviously represents peace.  No great surprise there.”   Allegra inhaled deeply.    “Peace is something I don’t quite have yet, but I’m close enough to want to claim it.  You know, to convince myself that I do.”  She uncrossed her legs, bending to retie the lace on her tennis shoe, intent on not seeing his face.  “It’s also symbolic of the peace that I hope others have found.”

He’d never known such a significant statement being to be represented in a tiny piece of body art.  Richie felt his heart soften toward this unique woman.  She was prolific, and he wondered if she ever wrote.  Lyrics, poems… anything.  Her words may not flow together as she was speaking, but the vision was there.  It wouldn’t take much to rework those words into something memorable.

She could be a hell of a muse for me.

Sensing that she needed it, and knowing that he did too, he lightened the mood a little.  “Please tell me the T doesn’t stand for Tico.  I’d hate to have to pull Alejandra’s claws out of your eyes.”

The lighthearted comment chased the shadows from her eyes, and she smiled softly.  “No, the T actually represents someone I knew back in Jersey.”

“Boyfriend?”  He pointed his finger at her and raised both eyebrows dramatically.  “Because I’m telling you, if it is, I can give you a good argument against putting someone else’s name on your body.”

Allegra had thought some of his artwork looked newer than others.  “What did you cover her name with?” 

Grinning guiltily, he said, “Roses.  From now on, the only female name I want permanently affixed to my body is my baby girl’s.”

“She may break your heart, but she’ll always be yours?” 

“Exactly.”

Jack returned with his interpretation of Allegra’s request.  The dove was distinct, but not overly structured, with long sweeping lines in its wings.  He had made the T in a scrolling font and placed dangling from the dove’s beak.  Hope was nestled in the upward curve of the tail feathers in the same flowing font.

She loved it.  It was delicate and feminine and she would take pleasure and strength from seeing it every day. 

When she spoke her thoughts aloud, it prompted Jack’s next question.  Where did she want the tattoo placed?  Allegra wasn’t trying to make a statement to anyone but herself, so it didn’t need to be in a visible spot.  Her desire to actually be able to see it when she wanted to narrowed the options considerably.   She decided on her lower abdomen, close to her left hip bone. 

As she told Jack, her eyes met Richie’s, silently asking his opinion.

“Excellent.  I love it when a woman knows what she wants,” he teased.

Jack led her to a studio, asking her to unbutton and pull down her jeans a bit before she climbed up on the table.  It was cold on her bare lower back, but wiggling helped warm the surface of the table a little.  She folded open the fly of her jeans, pushing it and her pink cotton panties down below the area he would be tattooing.

Pink cotton panties again.  Richie’s thoughts raced back to the night in her room.  ADD was still not a problem when he thought about those panties. 

“Okay, are you ready?” Jack asked her, needle poised over her smooth skin.

“Richie?”  She held her hand out in silent request.

His strong, warm fingers wrapped around hers, and in an instant, her mind had something to focus on  besides the impending pain.  Allegra smiled at him before closing her eyes and bracing herself.  “Okay, Jack.  Let’s do it.”


♫    ♫    ♫    ♫    ♫


Two hours later, they were back at the hotel in front of Allegra’s room.

“I can’t thank you enough for today.  You’ve been amazing.”

“Nothing amazing about spending the day with a lovely lady.  It’s truly been my pleasure.”  He cleared his throat.  “Hey, not to dampen the atmosphere or anything, but have you decided about the PA job?”

Her chin dropped to her chest.  She’d been dreading this moment.  “I have, actually.”  Allegra raised her chin to meet his eyes.  “As sweet as your offer is, I can’t accept it.  You were coerced into offering the position, and I’m not cut out to be someone’s personal assistant.  Besides, we’ve actually become friends now, and I’d hate to ruin that with a work relationship.” 

There had been no need for worry, even though she didn’t realize it.  Richie hadn’t wanted her to take the job either.  Things were complicated enough with Allegra already.  “I totally agree,” he assured her.  “Well, with the part about ruining our friendship.  Not that you couldn’t be a PA.  Because I’m sure that you could do whatever you took a notion to.”

She smiled at him backtracking over his fumble.  “Richie, it’s okay.  I know what you meant, and I’m glad you aren’t angry.”

A snort preceded his response.  “Hell no, I’m not angry.  Matt can butt heads with you for a while.  Jon and I have certainly had our turns.”

“Yeah, I guess you have, now that you mention it.”  Pushing up on tiptoe, she lightly pressed her lips to his cheek before resuming her flat-footed stance.  “Sorry about that.”

Fighting the urge to turn his head and taste those lips, he brought his palm to rest on the patch of denim that covered her tattoo.  “Don’t forget to take care of your ink,” he reminded her, giving her hip a quick squeeze before dropping his hand.

“I won’t.”   She pulled the key card out of her back pocket, and opened the door.  Wedging her toe in to keep it from closing, she turned to him.  “Thanks again.  I guess I’ll see you later.” she looked at him one last time before stepping across the threshold.

“See ya, Sunshine,” he told her with a wave, and sauntered down the hall.

Closing the door behind her, she spotted David’s laptop on the coffee table.  She should really get it back to him.  Pulling out her phone, she sat on the side of the bed and sent him a text.

I still have ur laptop.  Are u coming to get it tonite?

She had just kicked off her shoes when the chiming heralded his reply.

No.  Keep it warm 4 me.

A frown settled in between her eyebrows, as she tried to recall when things had gotten weird last night.  All she could remember was You Tube, and then he was rushing out the door.  Was he avoiding her for some reason? 

That’s ridiculous.  Everything isn’t about you, so stop trying to create drama

What’s up?

Writing bug hit.  Workin.

Oh.  K.  Come get laptop when u want it.  xox

Nite Legs.

Shrugging it off, Allegra sent a text to Matt.  They made plans to hook up the next day, and then she spent the rest of the night lost in in You Tube.


♫    ♫    ♫     ♫     ♫


There was no denying it any longer.  After declining Richie’s job offer, and spending several hours with Matt the next day, she knew her decision was made, and that it was time to talk to Jon. 

She arrived unannounced at his door late in the afternoon.  The argument was going to be unavoidable.  That’s just the way she and Jon communicated lately. 

As usual, he had a phone stuck to his ear when he answered her knock.   Inviting her in with a motion of his head, he continued his conversation.   “You got all that shit straightened out, right?  I don’t want to have to deal with this again.  Yeah, well I hope so.”  And with a tap of his finger, the call ended.

“Sit,” he invited, gesturing to the sofa.  He poured a cup of coffee from the pot sitting on the table before joining her.  “Rich tells me you guys had a good day yesterday.  I’m sorry I missed it.” 


Allegra smiled at the memory, and resisted the urge to touch her tattoo.  “Yeah, it was nice.  The guys were very sweet to indulge me.  I enjoyed it even though it was like my daddy made them play with me.”

The coffee must’ve been cold.  He frowned and put the cup back on the table. “It’s not like it was a hardship on them to fuck around Seattle for the day.  Besides, they like you.”

“Yeah, well I like them too.  A lot.”  And it made this suck all the more.

“Did you open a bank account?”

Cue the Great Inquisition.  “No.”

“Why not?  You couldn’t find a half-hour to take care of some business? ”

“Back off, Jon.  I shouldn’t even bother telling you, but the banks here are different than the ones in Jersey.  There’s no sense in having an account that I can’t access from home.”

“Surely there’s one national bank that you could find. You need to get it done so I can get your direct deposit set up.”

“Jon, stop it!  That’s not why I’m here.”  Five minutes.  That’s all the time it took in the same room with him before she wanted to choke him.

“Then why don’t you tell me why you are here?”  He crossed his legs and looked at her expectantly.

…Eight… Nine… Ten.  “Did Richie tell you I turned down the PA position?”

Jon inclined his head, saying, “Yeah, he did.  That’s why I was asking about a bank account.   I assumed you were here to tell me you’re taking the job with Matt.” 

“That would be the logical conclusion, I suppose.”

There was more to that sentence.  He was sure of it.  “But…?” 

“But I’m not taking it either.  I’m going back to Jersey.” 

“What the fuck for?  It’s not like you have a fulfilling career waiting there for you.”

She sucked in a breath.   The outburst she’d been prepared for, but the career comment was borderline cruel.  “No…  I don’t.”

“Alright, so stay and help Matt.  He says you have a good insight into operations.  You’ve made suggestions for changes, that, while aren’t feasible, show a good understanding for what’s going on.  It’ll be a good fit.”

“No, Jon, it won’t,” she said firmly.

His voice rose in frustration.  “Dammit, why won’t it?  Because you won’t let it, you stubborn woman? You can do anything that you set your mind to, and you know it.”

“THIS is why!  All we ever do anymore is argue!   I’m tired of having to fight for the least bit of respect from you! I’m tired of the decrees you cast down from your royal throne!”

Dammit, he’d done it to her again.  It didn’t matter that she knew it was coming.  No matter how much she prepared herself, she couldn’t keep him from pushing her buttons.    

Toning it down a few decibels, she told him, “Jon, I want my favorite cousin back. The one who used to like me for just because I was me.  Who didn’t feel like it was his job to ‘raise’ me.  If I work for you, I’m thinking I may never see him again.” 

He sighed deeply, willing the aggravation into submission, and trying to see her point.  It did seem like they spoke very loudly to each other lately.  But there was still no reason she couldn’t work with Matt.

“I may sign the paycheck, but you’ll be working for Matt.”

“And you’ll still want to know every move I make.  You can’t help yourself.  This last week is evidence of that.”

Jon tried to come up with an argument for that.  He wanted to tell her that she was wrong, but she wasn’t.  He wanted to tell her that he could mind his own business, but he couldn’t.  He wanted her where he could keep an eye on her, dammit.  What was so wrong with that?  He’d do the same thing with any female family member.  Wouldn’t he?  Fuck.

Putting his arm around her, he pulled her close.  “Babydoll, I’m always fucking things up with you.  I don’t mean to, it just happens.  It’s been a challenge wrapping my head around you not being in the sisterhood anymore.  And since you’re out here with me, it’s up to me to make sure you’re okay.   That’s it.  End of explanation.  End of story.”

Allegra sighed and leaned into him, absorbing his dominating strength for just a minute.  For all her complaining, he really was Superman.  Taking care of everything and everyone.  Trying to singlehandedly solve the problems of the world.   Using his power for good instead of evil.  It made her feel like an ungrateful shrew.

 “Can we talk about something else for a little while?  No arguing, no fighting, no need to be right.  Just talk?”

The vibrating of his phone prevented him from answering right away.  He leaned toward the table, one arm still around her, to see the display screen.  It wasn’t family or his ‘brothers’, so it could wait.  “Yeah.  That’d be nice.  Talk to me, Frannie.”

Allegra toed off her shoes and scooched to the other end of the couch, lightly dropping her feet in his lap.  “I missed a lot of stuff that was going on with you while I was in the cloister and I’m sorry.  I want you to know I think you’ve done amazing, incredible things and I’m totally awed by it.”

He picked at her sock, until she grumbled and pulled her feet away, tucking them under her and making him grin.  “We’ve worked hard, and gotten some accolades in the process.  I’m proud of what we’ve done, so thank you.  I’m even prouder of you though.  What you’ve done.  The life you chose takes a lot of dedication and faith, baby.  Not many people could do it.”

“Including me, apparently.” 

It was time.  Allegra knew she needed to share her burden or it would never get any lighter.  Shifting so that she could see his face, she locked in on the eyes that were a mirror image of her own.

 “Jonny, do you have time to hear the story now?  Of why I turned up on your doorstep?”


*Author's note:  I had so many comments speculating on her tattoo, it made me laugh!  I bet your ideas were more interesting than mine! Hoping you're not disappointed in the what and where.  Allegra's trying to be rebellious, but she's a  pretty conservative girl...lol.

6 comments:

Bayaderra said...

Oooooh! Here it comes! Tessa's story!!!

Wildflower said...

its getting closer!!! :D Great chapter! More please! :)

Anonymous said...

I really hope she stays. I don't want Allegra to leave!

Anonymous said...

I just have to tell you, it makes my day every time I see a new chapter of this. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh... WOW! Just read the two chapters and its great! If you havent gotten my email yet, well just ignore the bottom LOL!

Anonymous said...

Yippee another chapter and a brilliant one! Nope not at all disappointed in the what and where of the tattoo at all - really great meaning behind it. Great writing!
kiwigirlinoz