Friday, January 21, 2011

Forty-One

Mid-day post due to snow and ice!  :o)



Richie closed his bedroom room door and shook his head one last time before giving up with a soft splutter of frustration.

Damn ringing in my ears takes forever to go away anymore.  

They'd just finished the first of two shows in Anaheim, and it put them close enough to LA for Richie to actually go home after the show.  Anything that wasn't a hotel was always a bonus, so Jon, Dave and Tico had tagged along to invade Samboraland as well.

It’s going to feel good to sleep in my own bed tonight, even though I’d just as soon see Jon's ass back in the hotel.  The pissy attitude is gettin’ old.

While Jon may have said he accepted Richie’s relationship with Allegra, his actions told a completely different story.  For now, Richie would just continue to ignore the snippy comments and sharp looks, hoping that eventually Jon would find another obsession to sink his teeth into.

Checking the clock, he saw that it was almost three in the morning.  He draped his jacket over the back of the chair, internally debating whether or not it was too early to call Allegra.

They had managed to find at least a little time to talk every day during the week they’d been separated, and it touched him that she made a concentrated effort to be available, even if it was at odd hours through the night.   Some days it was nothing more than checking in to make sure everything was okay, other days they went through the typical ‘getting to know you’ stuff – favorite this or that, stupid childhood stories.  And, despite her temper, it turned out that Allegra was actually very easy to get along with.  The more they spoke, the more her love for people and her need to make a difference shone through, bleeding over and inspiring him to be a better person.  Not that he was a bad person, but without incentive it was far too easy to become complacent. 

He couldn’t help but chuckle thinking about her account of the interview with Sister Mary.   His heart swelled with affection as he thought of how she must’ve looked standing toe to toe with the nun that had incited more than a little fear into him and Jon both.  She was a good woman, make no doubt, but she could be intimidating as hell, that Sister Mary.

The Sister was able to get Allegra's employment contract pushed through without involving Jon, although she warned her that she wouldn't keep it a secret.  In order to allow for the forward progress of daily operations, it had been easy enough to circumvent his signature, but  he was still the man in charge.  Allegra knew that she was going to have to talk to him soon, but in the meantime, she was still completely infatuated with her new job.  She’d told Richie that her primary duty for the foreseeable future was to shadow Sister Mary and get a feel for how the Foundation operated. 

He finished stripping off his clothes, and slid between the cool sheets with a sigh of appreciation at the familiarity of it.  The ringing in his ears had finally subsided and he rolled his head on his shoulders in an attempt to loosen the muscles there.  One loud crack from his neck gave him the relief he was seeking and he groaned softly in appreciation.

Now if I only had my girlfriend curled up next to me, it would be a fan-fuckin’-tastic night.

With that thought in mind, he picked up the cordless phone from the bedside table to dial Allegra’s cell phone.  He yawned loudly as it rang several times, and he thought it was going to flip over to voicemail before he finally heard her drowsy greeting. 

“H’lo?”

“Good mornin’, Sunshine,” he drawled and nestled back into the pillows that were propped against the headboard of his California king bed.  The chocolate sheets reminded him of the brown bedroom in Jon’s guest house.

There was a sleepy grin in her voice when she purred, “Richie.  I think I was just dreaming about you.”

 “Was it a good dream?”  The sheets rustled and he visualized her long, toned legs stretching out under the covers. 

“Ohhhhh yes.  It was very good.”  She was waking up now and sounding a little more alert.  That seemed fair since those little grunts and moans she was making were certainly waking him up.  “Where are you calling me from?  I didn’t recognize the number.”

“I’m at my house in LA.  Anaheim was close enough that we all came here and crashed instead of dealing with the hotel scene.”

“Mmm.  Who do you have in residence?  The three stooges?”

“Yeah,” he confirmed with a chuckle.  “And I’ll be sure and pass that little personality assessment along to them in the morning.  Your popularity may drop a few notches after that.”

She didn’t sound particularly concerned.  “Whatever.  You all say worse than that to each other during the course of a meal.  Besides, David loves me and so does Tico.  And Jon?  The joy of family is that you have to put up with all kinds of crap.  It’s the rules.”

“That reminds me.  Do you have any idea what the hell’s going on with Lemma?  He keeps looking at me and giggling like a little girl at the weirdest fuckin’ moments.  What’s he up to?” 

“Well, I can’t exactly tell you.  I’m sorry,” she told him before her apologetic tone became sarcastic.  “David says he’s afraid you won’t be able to keep it a secret for another week, even though it sounds like he’s the one having trouble.  Just flip him the bird and tell him to keep his mouth shut.  I’ll tell you as soon as I get to Las Vegas, I promise.”

His face pinched into a scowl.  “Keeping secrets from me with my brothers, huh?  I don’t think I like that.” 

Joker better watch his ass. 

The thought had no more crossed his mind when her throaty laugh completely sidetracked him from his unhappiness. “But you’ll like this secret.  Trust me.  It’s only a few more days.”

“Baby, when you get there and I have my arms wrapped around you, I’m not gonna to be thinking about David’s goofy ass.  I’m not gonna care about anything other than how you feel pressed up against me.”

She went quiet, causing him to smirk.  It wasn’t the first time this week he’d said something like that, and she’d reacted the same way every time.  It amused him that he could turn this confident woman into a shy and awkward girl with just the right words.

“Hey, I didn’t embarrass you did I?” 

“No…  I just…  I don’t know what to say to those kinds of things, Richie.  Intimate banter is not something people just automatically know how to do.  At least I don’t.” 

Richie wondered if she looked as pouty as she sounded.

“Some do, some don’t.”  He slid down in the bed, his bent knees tenting the covers.  “Did it make you uncomfortable?  Would you prefer me not to talk that way?”

If the way she reacted to his words in bed was any indication, he didn’t think that was the case.  She just needed to know it was okay to say what was on her mind – and that he wanted her to.

“Nooo… You should talk however comes naturally to you,” she replied.  “It… made me feel good to know you’re thinking something like that about me.  Coming up with an appropriate response is hard though.”

Let’s see if we can get you to open up just a little bit, Sunshine.

“First of all, there is no ‘appropriate’ response.  What did you think when I said that I’m not gonna care about anything other than how good you’ll feel pressed up against me?”

She hesitated too long for what seemed like a simple question, and he grew impatient.

“Come on, Allegra, just say it,” he pressed.  “Say it.”

“I thought about how good your strong arms will feel around me,” she blurted.

A slow grin stole across Richie’s face.  “Then that’s what you should say.  I like to hear that kind of shit too, babe.  It may not be masculinely correct to admit, but I need to know that you still want me.  We’ve hardly been in the same time zone since we got together, and I wanna hear that you’re thinking about me physically, because I sure as hell think about you.”

“Oh right, Mr. Rock Star Sex God.  Like you need reassurance that a woman wants you.”

“No, no.  That’s not what I said.  I said that I need to know that you still want me.  And you’re changing the subject.”  His voice dropped to a rumble.  “Tell me.”

“Tell you what?”

“Allegra…  I wanna hear you say it.”  She damn well knew what he meant, but she was playing the innocent card again.  “Tell me.” 

She took a breath, as though she were going to speak, but then there was nothing but still air and the slightest hum of electricity across the phone line. 

“Come on,” Richie coaxed.  “Ya know you’re dying to...”

“I want you.”  Her voice was soft and uncertain to begin with, gaining momentum as the words that he wanted to hear broke loose.   “I fantasize about your lips and hands all over me.  Getting to kiss you again is what I’m looking forward to most about Las Vegas.”

I knew you were in there.

“Kissing is definitely something to look forward to,” he agreed.  The covers were still tented, but his legs were now flat against the mattress.  Curious about how much she would open up, he prodded a little further.  “Tell me what else you’re looking forward to.”

There was that sound of sheets rustling again.  In his mind’s eye, he could see her curling up on her side, hair trailing over her shoulder, cheeks flushed and warm from sleep.  

“I'm looking forward to feeling your skin against mine.  And tasting you.  You haven’t let me do that yet.” 

“You’ve touched and kissed me.”  He could play dumb too if that’s what it took to draw her out and get her to talk to him.  Communication was critical in any relationship, and if she could get past the awkwardness of spelling out her desires?  Well, then she should be able to talk to him about anything.  That was a deal breaker for him after Heather.  He genuinely believed that, if they had spent more time in open, honest conversation, their marriage would have been more successful.  It wasn't a mistake that he had any intention of repeating.

“Not kiss,” Allegra quietly broke into his thoughts.

“If not a kiss, then what?” 

A deep inhalation preceded her softly spoken words.  “Take you deep in my mouth and taste you.”

“What part of me?  My finger?  My tongue?"  He paused for effect.  "My cock?”  Come on darlin', you can do it.

One heartbeat, two.  He'd begun to consider that it may be too much, too soon when she finally answered, “Your...cock.  I'd like to give you a... blow job.” 

The words were barely audible, but it was all his body needed to go rock hard.  Expelling a quick puff of air, he resolutely ignored the ache that had assaulted his groin.  This wasn't about getting turned on at what she was saying - not this time anyway.

"Have you ever done it before?"

"No...  I thought maybe you would show me?"  Uncertainty must have swooped in after she posed the question, because she followed it up with, "Is that okay?"

In that instant, he couldn't fathom why he'd always sought out the experienced women with a few fun - okay, kinky - tricks up their sleeves.  Maybe he'd matured since then, but he couldn't imagine anything more erotic than her sexy, sweet innocence.

"Hell yes it's okay.  Baby, all ya have to do is ask me if you have questions.  I can probably make an educated guess about what you don't know, but that doesn't tell me what you're curious about.  I know it probably feels a little awkward to say those things out loud, but I really believe that couples need to be open with one another."  

“That sounds like a good philosophy,” she agreed.  “Does it apply to non-sexual topics, too?”

“Yeah.  Absolutely!” 

“Then can I ask you a question?”

“Of course.  What do ya wanna know?”

“Have you told Ava about us?  Or her mother?”

It’s none of Heather’s business…

“Ava knows we’re seeing each other and that you’ll be with us in Vegas.  She really liked you when you met in Hawaii, and told me she’s looking forward to seeing you again.”

“Seeing me again?  Ava will be in Las Vegas with you?”

Shit.  Didn’t I tell her that?  Way to go, Rich.

“Uh, yeah, all of the kids are coming in for the weekend.  Jon and I have been wanting to see the new Beatles’ production, so we thought we’d check it out while we’re in town.”

Once again, there was that echoing silence on the line that carried more meaning than a hundred words.

“Sunshine, what’s the matter?”

“It would’ve been nice to know that sooner, is all.  It… changes things.”  Allegra’s voice was cool and distant, telling him that she thought he’d screwed something up and wasn’t happy about it. 

As much as Richie dreaded the looming conversation where he would, no doubt, be the bad guy, he appreciated that she didn’t play games.  He’d asked her what was wrong and she’d told him.  It was a refreshing change from what he was used to.

“What does it change?”

“I can’t – won’t – share your bed with your daughter there.” 

“Honey, she and Casey will have their own bedrooms in the suite.”

“But she’s going to see me coming and going from your bedroom.  You don’t really think that’s appropriate, do you?”

I knew I was going to be the bad guy.  Not that I don’t deserve the title this time.

He sighed at the knowledge she was right, and that he was a dumbass for not thinking about it.  The truth was he’d been looking forward to seeing them both, and it just didn’t occur to him that sleeping arrangements might pose a problem. 

“We haven’t talked about any of your travel arrangements, so maybe that’s a good place to start.  When will you get to Vegas?”

Did she just growl?

“Tell me how I’m supposed to know that?  Tell me what I’m supposed to do so that I can jet off across the country to meet my superstar boyfriend?  This all may be as natural as breathing to you, but I’m not exactly an experienced world traveler, Richie.  I’ve been waiting for somebody to tell me something.  Or does everything just magically happen?  A pumpkin coach will appear and whisk me away to wherever you are, when you want me to be there?  Because that would be great.”

“Relax for just a minute, okay?  I’m sorry I didn’t think about the details, but we’ll work through it.  Tell me when you can be gone from the Foundation and I’ll have Cheryl take care of it all.”  A strategy for how to turn this potential disaster into a pleasant weekend was forming in his mind.  “Can you take off on Friday and fly out that morning?”

“I think so.  I’ll ask Sister Mary today,” she sniffled.

“Hey, you’re not crying are you?”

“No, not really.  I’m just frustrated things aren’t going the way I imagined.”

“Sunshine, gimme a little time and I’ll make it work.   It’ll all be good by the end of the day, I promise.”



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great snow day surprise!

Anonymous said...

Mmm.... Where did you say they sell bad guys like him???
I really, really, REALLY need one of those for myself!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you anonymous #2. I need one of those myself as well!

Cindy aka Miss Moose said...

I don't want one of those, I want THAT ONE!!!! BTW Richie, open communication goes both ways. You need to remember to tell her things like your daughter is going to be with the two of you! And if you don't want Ava to see her coming out of your room, try adjoining rooms!!