Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 12


She arrived at the arena by 4pm as instructed, uncertain as to where she should be IN the arena.  Not really ready to see Richie, she opted for Jon’s dressing room.  As she began to navigate the rabbit trail that was backstage, she spotted Montana working on some equipment with another man. 

She approached him, smiling.  “Hey Montana.  How are ya?”  She broadened her greeting to include his co-worker.  She’d not seen the other man before, but he was about her height with thinning hair and very dark eyes.  He had on one of those monogrammed shirts that said ‘Felix’.

Montana eyed her somewhat warily before responding, “I’m pretty good, how are you?”

“Doing okay.  This is the first time I’ve had a chance to speak to you since the other night, and I just wanted to apologize again.  That was a complete fluke and will never happen again.”

“No offense Allegra, but no, it won’t.  I like my job too much to risk pissing him off.”

She sighed.  “I understand, and I’m sorry you got put in that position.  I hope we can still be friends.”

Felix was listening with fascination to their exchange.

“Sure.”  He wasn’t very convincing.

“Oh.  Okay.  Good.  Well, I’m headed back to the dressing rooms.  I have a meeting.  Good to see you Montana. “  She waved slightly, acknowledging both men with a nod.

As soon as she’d gotten out of earshot, Felix asked Montana, “Who’s the broad?”

“Allegra.  She’s cooking for the band.”

“Sounds like you tried to get busy with her?”

“Things didn’t work out.”

“She’s got a nice ass”, he noted as he continued to watch her departure.  He directed his attention back to Montana.  “So she’s an easy lay?”

Montana just shrugged, hoping not to be pushed into saying anything else.  If he wasn’t keen on losing his job for sleeping with her, he sure wasn’t going to lose it over gossiping about her.


∞∞∞∞∞


Sound check was just about over and Jon had yet to see Allegra.  Maybe she hadn’t gotten his first text. 

“Gimme a minute, guys,” he said, pulling out his phone.  They were just about to start a final runthrough of Love’s the Only Rule.

Seeing no new texts, he fired another one off to her.

Did u get my text abt being @soundcheck?  Where are u? ~ JBJ

“Problem, Boss?”  David asked from his side of the stage.

“No.  At least I don’t think so.  Allegra is supposed to be here.”

“She came in about an hour ago,” Tico told him.  “Headed straight for the backstage area.”

Jon nodded about the time his phone vibrated with her reply.

In ur dressing room.  Hurry up already.  ~ A

Smirking, he signaled David to start the song.  They went through it quickly, and though he wasn’t one hundred percent satisfied, he let it go for now.  It was better than some of the other new material.

“All right.  You guys know the drill.  See you before the show.”  Jon descended down the staircase at the rear of the platform, into the backstage area.

Richie pulled his guitar strap over his head, passing the instrument to his tech.  He wondered if Allegra would take the PA job, half regretting that he’d made the offer.  Too late to worry about it now.


∞∞∞∞∞


Jon entered his dressing room to find Allegra stretched out on the couch with a magazine.  “Make yourself at home,” he told her jokingly.

“I will.  Especially when you ask, no wait, TELL me to be here at four and aren’t ready to talk to me until five.”  She stuck her tongue out at him, tossing the magazine aside.

“I assume you want to fire me,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Can I sit down before you tell me what I want to say?”

“Of course you can.  Have a seat,” she graciously offered, then grinned.  “Make yourself at home.”

He laughed as he picked up her feet, swinging them to the floor to make room.  “Thanks, smartass.”

“Hey!  Better a smartass than a dumbass, right?”

“You mean like I’ve been?”  His expression was contrite.

He didn’t signal before making that conversational lane change, Allegra thought.  “What are you talking about?”

“It’s been brought to my attention that I may have ‘steamrolled’,” He brought his fingers up to do the air quotes. “you into a job that you didn’t want or feel comfortable with.  In retrospect, I remember you telling me that you didn’t think it would be a good fit.”

Nodding, she affirmed, “I did.  I was also so intent on getting out here that I probably didn’t push back as hard as I should have.  You CAN be made to listen with a little effort.  I’m not a naΓ―ve young girl and was very conscious of what I was setting myself up for.  It was poor judgment to allow it to get as far as it did.  I’m sorry.”

He chuckled ruefully.  “Thanks for trying to let me off the hook, but I think you’re the only one who’s going to allow it.” 

Jon shifted to all-business mode, squaring his shoulders and spearing her with a direct look.    “Anyway, it has also been brought to my attention that you would be an asset to my organization in the public relations arena.  Now, obviously, I’m not going to let you do our promotional stuff with no direct experience in the field.”  He shrugged with both his shoulders and hands.  “Business is business, and that’s just reality – family or not.”

She nodded in understanding, never dreaming that he would do anything of the sort.  Allegra was astonished that he was talking about PR at all.  It made her wonder what had been said to him, and by whom.  Naturally, she assumed it was Dorothea, but that was just a guess.

“So, I moved on to other available areas of public interaction.  The fan club was suggested as a possible option.”

Again with the suggestions from another person.  This was really eating at her curiosity.

“I talked to Matty this morning to see what was going on with the fan club.  Things are busy and will be picking up even more as we get some additional shows booked.  He says he can always use an extra hand with the VIP fan experiences, and it would be nice to have another family member involved.  Supposedly the fans feel more connected when they get to deal with family members.”

He waited for her reaction, studying her face for any clue of what was going on in her mind. 

Annnnddd….  Her face was totally expressionless.  Almost eerily so.

It wasn’t exactly the overwhelming joy he’d hoped for.  Or even remote interest. 

He assumed that the idea wasn’t appealing, and moved on to the other available alternative.  “If that doesn’t interest you, Richie needs a personal assistant.  He said he’d be willing to let you fill that role for a while.”

THAT one he had no trouble gauging a reaction to.  Allegra’s spine stiffened and she shook her head firmly.  “No.  I’m not even sure about helping Matt out, but I’m definitely not going to be Richie’s personal assistant.”

He blew out an exasperated breath.  “What the hell is it with you two?  One minute I think you’re getting along okay, and the next you don’t want anything to do with each other.”

She wanted badly to ask if Richie had said anything about her today, but this wasn’t high school.  That, and she wasn’t sure she was ready to find out that Jon knew more about last night than she did. 

“You know Jon, I may have made a mistake here.  I was so anxious to get out and explore the world that I may have put myself in a compromised position.  I’m a grown, responsible woman.  I may not have acted like it for the last few days, but I am.  I know that I asked for this experience, but maybe it would be best for me to stop playing at life and face it head on.  I never wanted to be a charity case and it’s starting to feel like that’s the direction this is taking.  I hate that you’re trying to make up a job for me.  I apologize for putting you in that position, and for wasting your time.”  She stood, turning toward the door.

“Frannie,” he said softly, taking her hand lightly in his.

She pretended not to hear him, staring blindly at the door as she spoke.  “I’d like to stay for the show tonight, if that’s okay, but then I’ll just head back to Mom & Dad’s.  It’s time to put my resume together.”

He sighed and laced his fingers through hers, slowly spinning her toward him.  Jon looked up into her still emotionless face.  “Sweetheart, I hate to see you struggling this way, but don’t cut off your nose to spite your face.  I admit I screwed this up in the beginning, but let me do what I can for you.  Stay with us at least through the Seattle shows.  That’s only a little over a week.  Enjoy the vacation.   You don’t have to decide about the job right now.  Just think about it.  Ask questions.  Talk to Matty.  Talk to Rich.  See what they’d want from you.  If you decide it’s not something you want to do, then the jet will be ready to take you home whenever you want.”

She finally dipped her head to meet his eyes.  This may be have been ‘brought to his attention’, but she could see he was heartfelt in what he was saying. 

Frustration and indecision welled inside her.  She’d done the hard part twenty years ago.  She’d already made plans for the rest of her life!  This here and this now wasn’t a part of those plans.  It wasn’t fair!  She fought to contain the emotion brimming inside her.

Jon saw the tears forming in her eyes and stood to embrace her.  “Oh babydoll, I didn’t mean to make it harder.  I just want you to be sure you do what’s best for YOU.  It’s totally your decision – I get that.  I just don’t want you to be hasty in making it.  Whatever you decide after Seattle, you’ll have my full support – and the support of the family.  I’ll make sure of it.” 

He drew back, wiped a tear away with his thumb and locked gazes with her.  “Okay?”

She nodded, sniffling and wiping her eyes impatiently.  “I’m not sad, you know.  I’m angry and frustrated and hurt.  Most of the time I don’t dwell on it.  Then other times all those emotions run into each other and overpower me.  But I will do what you’ve asked and think about it for a while.”

“Are you ready to talk about it yet?”  He lightly stroked her arm in a comforting gesture.

“Soon.”  She gave him a watery smile.  “When I can do it without crying.”

“You still haven’t told anyone what happened?”

“No.”

“Well, you know you should, so I’m not going to say it.  Just know that I’m here when you’re ready.  Now get out of here.”  He separated himself from her and playfully slapped her backside.  “I’ve got work to do.”

She grabbed his hand and squeezed for just an instant.  “Thanks Jonny.  I love you.”

“Love you too, sweetheart.  Find Rew or Obie on your way out.  One of them should have an all-access laminate for you.”  He pulled out his phone, already checking e-mail.  “Oh, and if you want to sit out front tonight, just let ‘em know and they’ll get you a seat.”

She nodded and left him to his work. 

She had no more stepped out of the room when she bumped into David. 

“Hey, Legs!”  He greeted her before noticing her tear-stained face.  He tipped her chin up with his thumb.  “What’s the matter, beautiful?  Did the Big Bad Boss make you cry?  Dot will have his ass if he did.  He was supposed to fix it, not make it worse.”

She laughed, pulling away from him.  “I’m fine, but somebody has GOT to tell me what happened.”

“After you almost set the place on fire,” He grinned wickedly, letting her know it wasn’t the last she’d be hearing about it, “they ganged up on him and told him he had to give you a better job.  I tried to get tall, dark and ugly to hire you as his personal assistant, but that didn’t pan out.”

“It didn’t huh?”  That’s not what Jon said.

“Nope, but I’m sure he’ll find something in line with your numerous talents.” 

“I’m sure he will,” she agreed quietly.  “I need to find Obie or Rew.  Have you seen them?”

“Check under the stage.  They dwell there like rats in a sewer.  Hey!  I never did get to find out how you liked your first Jovi show?  What’d you think?”

Smiling, she told him, “I LOVED it!  Where can I get tapes of the band’s music?  I’d love to hear it all, and get more familiar with the songs.  I’m sure it will make the concerts more enjoyable for me.” 

He looked at her as though she had something unsightly hanging from her nose.  “TAPES!?!  TAPES!?!  You didn’t even say CDs, but TAPES!  My God, when’s the last time you listened to music, girl??”

“Well, let me see.  I’m pretty sure dinosaurs still roamed the earth from the look on your face.  Maybe about the time they discovered fire?  Yeah, that was it.  Fire, Swatch watches and Care Bears.  It must’ve been the eighties.”

He hooted with laughter at the sarcasm dripping from her words.  “The first step is admitting that you have a problem,” he assured her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.  “Let Jam Master Dave hook you up, baby.”

“Don’t you have a show to get ready for?”  She asked, giggling.

“Damn.  Yes.  Yes, I do.”  He pointed at her.  “Tomorrow though, we HAVE to get you into the digital music age.  Come by room about one o’clock and we’ll get started with your education.”

She winked at him. “Word up, homeboy.” 

Allegra didn’t think David would ever stop laughing…


10 comments:

jenny said...

great chapter. loved the admititng I'm wrong part. Cant wait to find out what happened to frannie. You arent talking to yourself, us nonwriters just have trouble coming up with comments. we feel dumb writing great chapter kind of ting each time.lol.

foxli said...

Great chapter again. Was laughing so hard about "tall, dark and ugly". Can David hear saying this in real for sure lol

Keep up, can't wait for the next part.

Bayaderra said...

Awww, Lemma sounds just like I imagine him to be.... sweet and funny goof ball!

Anonymous said...

Great chapter. I just love funny Dave!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to loving funny Dave! I'm also itching to find out just what happened to Allegra/Frannie in the past!

Anonymous said...

I really hope she takes the P/A position for Richie!

fivefivegenie said...

Ok, so like I mentioned, I'm re-reading this ... and I totally can't see why David scares you - you write him SO well (as proven by all the comments about Dave in this chapter!)

Anonymous said...

I am a few years late to the party but I'm hsppy as heck to be here. I read your Jon stories first and am so enthralled with your writing. I wanted to say that leaving comments on some of the stories was an exercise in frustration and it's probably a user issue (ha!) but I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. I read Patience and am reading Crocodile on my phone and it won't let me leave comments. The only way I can is to go to the computer. I have a feeling that there are many of us out here reading your work and LOVING it but not leaving comments for one reason or another. I could write a book on the things that I love and the things I have questions on about these stories. Please don't stop!!!

Anonymous said...

PS - "Word Up Homeboy"....OMG! Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I'm re-reading this story. And that line was as funny now as it was then."Word up Homeboy".... love it πŸ˜πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘